CHERRY SHORTBREAD COOKIES
This is variation #2 of the classic shortbread cookie recipe. Finely chopped Maraschino cherries are the only addition. Oh yes, so good for you! The cherries not only add the bright red flecks throughout the dough, but they also infuse it with a marbled look of pale pink. It is very appealing. These pretty pink cookies are magnets for children!
Follow the classic shortbread cookie recipe in the link below. Finely chop the Maraschino cherries, drain, and press out any additional moisture with a towel. This recipe will yield slightly more cookies than the classic shortbread cookie recipe.
- 1 cup salted butter, very soft
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 2½ cups flour
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- If using unsalted butter, add ⅛ tsp salt
- ¾ cup Maraschino cherries, finely chopped, drained and patted dry with a towel.
- For the shortbread cookie recipe, click here
• medium cellophane bags, 3″ x 1.75″ x 8”. Stack the cookies on the counter, then use an offset spatula to slide the stacks into the bags. Seal the bags with the tin ties provided.
• small luggage tags shape 1B, Scallop Edge style
• shape 28 label to indicate the type of cookie, Scallop Edge style
• shape 05 text label for the back, Scallop Edge style
• silky ribbon tied in a bow