Small Cookie Sunday: Graham Toffee Bars
GRAHAM CRACKER TOFFEE BARS
Like toffee? Here’s how to get all you want – make as much as you want, eat as much as you want. This is your chance to go really, really bad!! But you could go really, really good and give it to everyone you know! I’ll bet you will strengthen a lot of friendships.
- 14-16 graham crackers
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup toasted, cooled chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 11 x 15 jelly roll pan with parchment paper or wax paper. Break graham crackers along their score lines, and lay them in the pan evenly in a single layer, breaking some of the graham crackers in half if needed to fit.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-high heat until melted. Stir in the brown sugar. Continue to stir until the mixture comes to a steady simmer. Allow to boil gently but steadily for three minutes, then pour over the graham crackers. Spread evenly over the crackers, using the back of a spoon or a spatula. Bake at 350 until the butter-sugar mixture is bubbling all over. Remove pan from oven, sprinkle with the chocolate chips, wait until the chips are softened and then spread them out with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Spread evenly or randomly, however you prefer. Top with toasted nuts.
- Place in freezer until firm, one to two hours. Cut with a sharp knife into the graham cracker rectangles. It’s messy, I can’t figure out how to cut them cleanly, but that’s part of their charm. You will get plenty of crumbs and small bits. I put the crumbs and bits into a jar and we are topping our ice cream with them! Extra bonus.
Package these yummy bars first in wax paper bags trimmed so they pop out of the top as in the photos. Fold the white bags in half as in photos, and apply labels. Slip the packaged bars into the white bags. Heap them onto a platter or on a table, and let the party begin!
• small white favor bags, 3.25″ x 5.25″
• label shape 06, rectangle 2.75″ x 1.875″ I used meme style with a photo of my grad and friends.
• wax paper bags trimmed down to fit, to line the inside of the boxes. this step keeps the butter and chocolate oils contained.