HAZELNUT SHORTBREAD COOKIES
This is variation #1 of the classic shortbread cookie recipe. The only addition is the toasted nuts. I used hazelnuts, Oregon’s most popular nut. It’s one of our main crops here in the Willamette Valley, where 99% of the country’s hazelnuts are grown. But of course you are free to use whatever nut is your favorite! Toasted walnuts are excellent, as are pecans. Pine nuts are too but right now are outrageously costly. Try your favorite. Different nuts create different types of cookies. Just be sure to toast them first for wonderful flavor, and cool completely before using.
Follow the classic shortbread cookie recipe in the link below. Simply add the toasted, cooled nuts to the flour mixture and continue as with the classic version. This recipe will yield more cookies than the classic shortbread cookie recipe, since you are adding the nuts.
- 1 cup salted butter, very soft
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- If using unsalted butter, add 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup finely chopped, toasted, cooled hazelnuts
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/blog/small-cookie-sunday-classic-shortbread/”]Shortbread cookie recipe – click here[/url]