I co-hosted a baby shower recently, and contributed some delicious – tasting and looking – packages of homemade spiced kettle corn. I made use of the very handy large frosted tin-tie bags available from evermine.com, which really showcase the charming spontaneity and airiness of those flirtatious little kernels. With an herby, spicy twist to each batch, we found ourselves with three splendid versions to try and chat about at the shower.
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup corn kernels
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ranch herb mix, curry powder, or fresh ground cinnamon or any herb and spice combination you fancy
- A large baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- A large, but hopefully not heavy, pot with a securely-fitting lid
- 2 pot-holders that also cover the backs of the hands
- Place a layer of parchment paper over the baking sheet and set aside. Heat the oil in the pot over medium heat. Place three corn kernels into the pot and listen or watch for the first of them to pop, about 2-4 minutes. Once the first kernel has popped, move swiftly to add the sugar salt and spices/herbs to the pot, stir to combine, and finally, add the remaining corn kernels. Place the lid on top, grab the handles of the pot using the pot holders and agitate the pot, shaking it side to side over the heat source. Continue shaking the pot, listening for the sound of the popping kernels. Once the popping has reduced in frequency to one second between pops, remove the pot from heat, and pour the popped kernels onto the parchment-covered baking sheet. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, break up the larger chunks and enjoy!
- To make a favor with this special kettle corn, fill frosted tin-tie bags of this fresh, still-warm kettle corn and close the bags. The kettle corn will stay fresh for 2-3 days if stored in an airtight container.
Used In This Project:
- Large Bottle Labels • I chose the “Lady Bug” style in tangerine, pink and aruba.
- Fancy Diamond Hang Tags • I chose the “Lady Bug” style in tangerine, pink and aruba.
- Frosted Tin-Tie Bags • I chose the large size.
SHOP OUR ENTIRE BABY SHOWER COLLECTION >