But the best part of the winter — the best thing that comes out of trudging through dreary days with damp socks and a constantly runny nose — is the cozy feeling of arriving at an already warm house that is overflowing with love and delicious smells. In my memory, this coziness was accompanied by a hot mug of holiday elixir that was infused in one way or another with warming spices.
This is why I’m so excited to share this simple but very cozy gift idea with you. A sweet and functional package of spiced rim sugar is inexpensive to put together, and also offers the idea of making a cup of hot cocoa, spiced chai, hot toddy or Spanish coffee a little extra special. To set this gift off, I used a CD style tin, decorative tape (ribbon would work too) and personalized holiday labels from evermine.com.
- ½ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground dried orange peel
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- a few cinnamon sticks (optional)
- a few whole star anise (optional)
- Combine the first four ingredients in a wide, short container with a tight fitting lid, like these CD style tins. Cover and shake the container until all the ingredients are mixed.
- Add the whole spices and close again. Store in a cool, dry location. The spices should stay vibrant for about a month, but will still be delicious for a full year.
- Pictured here is the Iconic Christmas style in stone with the snowflake charm in the circle and large bottle shapes (sizes 17 and 12).
Used In This Project:
More Gift Ideas:
Homemade Simmering Spices Orange Ginger Cranberry Sauce Mulling Spices Pumpkin Pie Spice
Shop Our Holiday Collection: