Homemade Sugar and Spiced Nuts
If you’re looking for a shower favor that is very doable, universally likeable, and mostly healthy but with a twist of decadence, check this one out. These sugar and spiced nuts are super yummy! The sweetness of sugar and cinnamon contrasts with just a touch of cayenne to wake up your taste buds. It’s a perfect mix of salty, sweet, spicy and crunchy. Best of all, if cinnamon and cayenne aren’t your jam, omit the cayenne and replace the cinnamon with your next favorite powdered spice: curry? cumin? smoked paprika?
I love this idea for a baby shower because of its pretty much universal likability—from babies to Grammies, lots of generations can get behind the idea of sweet roasted nuts—and also because of the classic play on words. As an added bonus, this recipe is also vegan.
Packaging up this sweet snack in a large rectangular window tin with personalized labels in the Morocco style not only showcases the delicious snack, but also gives the whole favor a 1950s futuristic look. So fun!
Pictured here is the Morocco style in sunflower in the rectangular labels and the designer address label shape (sizes 06 and ALMO02).
- 3 cups mixed roasted nuts
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_4772.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Sugar and Spiced Nuts | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com #recipe #babyshower #gift”][/url]
- Prepare a baking sheet by coating it lightly with coconut oil. Preheat the oven to 375 ˚F.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_4779.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Sugar and Spiced Nuts | evermine blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- Combine the nuts, spices and salt together in a large bowl.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_4783.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”How to make Sugar and Spiced Nuts | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water and coconut oil and stir constantly over low heat. After the sugar has dissolved continue to stir for 1 minute, remove from heat, pour over the nut mixture and stir to combine. Spread the nuts evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 8-12 minutes, stirring every few minutes. When the moisture is almost baked out of the mixture, turn off the oven, leaving the nut mixture in the oven to slowly finish dehydrating. Once cool, remove the nuts, breaking up the larger pieces and store them in an airtight container.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_4807.jpg” width=”680″ height=”510″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Homemade Sugar and Spiced Nuts | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
- If you are using the [url href=”http://www.specialtybottle.com/tinrectangularwindow55by37hinged.aspx” target=”_blank”]large rectangular window tins[/url], which are not airtight, go ahead and package them up, but store the finished favors in sealed freezer bags to keep the nuts fresh until the day of your event.
- [url href=”https://www.evermine.com/labels/MO-31/”][img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_4838.jpg” width=”680″ height=”907″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Sugar and Spiced Nuts | Evermine Blog | www.evermine.com”][/url]
Used In This Project:
- Rectangular Labels • I chose the “Morocco” style in sunflower.
- Designer Address Labels • I chose the “Morocco” style in sunflower.
More Edible Gift Ideas:
Honey Maple Granola with Pecans Homemade Tiki Snack Mix S’more Trail Mix Baby Shower Favors Candy Popcorn Baby Shower Favors
Shop Our Food/Craft Collection: