Looking for the perfect winter wedding favor to send home with your guests? These DIY fire starters are quirky, cute, budget-friendly and super simple to make at home. Package them in gift boxes lined with tissue paper, and add personalized wedding labels in your color and design of choice that say “Married & Bright” for a clever play on a seasonal phrase.
To make these fire starters at home, all you need are some wax (we used recycled soy wax), a few whole spices and some foraged items. For the spices, you can use whole cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries or peppercorn. And if you’re foraging for items, look for pine/fir needles, rosemary or small pine cones, and let them dry out completely before making your fire starters.
If you use a standard sized muffin tin to make your fire starters, a 3×3-inch gift box will fit them perfectly. Package each of your gift boxes with personalized labels – one for the top, and a text label with instructions and safety information on the bottom. Place one favor at each place setting at your reception, or set up a favor table near the exit so your guests can snag one as they head out the door.
- 4 cups soy wax flakes (can use recycled wax from old candles)
- mini pine cones
- bay leaves
- cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- whole dried spices such as cloves and allspice berries
- cotton wick or string, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- Standard 12-cup muffin tin
- 12 paper liners
- Medium saucepan
- An old 4-cup measuring glass with a handle
- Small white gift boxes
- Personalized Jubilation labels in the square shape
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/IMG_1161.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Wedding Favor Friday: Married and Bright Firestarters from www.evermine.com”]
- Gather and prepare all your ingredients and supplies: line your muffin tin with muffin papers, break your cinnamon sticks into pieces with a mortar and pestle, and cut your cotton wicks to size. Place two to three pinecones in each muffin tin along with 3-4 pieces of cinnamon stick, 5-10 whole dried spices, bay leaves and any other dried items you want to include. Set aside
- Fill your medium saucepan with 2 inches water. Place over medium-high heat. Grab an old 4-cup measuring glass – something you can use just for candlemaking – and fill it with your wax. Place measuring glass in the saucepan with the water, and stir frequently until the wax melts. When wax melts completely, remove from heat, and pour a few tablespoons into each muffin tin until all 12 paper liners are filled. Place one length of wick in each well, using the pinecones and other materials to hold them upright. Allow to sit undisturbed until wax has completely hardened – about 3-5 hours.
- [img src=”https://bdn.evermine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/IMG_1150.jpg” width=”680″ height=”1020″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Wedding Favor Friday: Married and Bright FIrestarters from www.evermine.com”]
- Line each of your small gift boxes with tissue paper and place one fire starter in each box. Close lid, and place your favor label over the top lid. Turn upside down and adhere your text label with safety instructions on the bottom.
Used In This Project:
- Square Labels • I chose the “Jubilation” style in tuxedo.
- Square Text Labels • I chose the “Jubilation” style in tuxedo.
- Small White Gift Boxes
SHOP OUR ENTIRE WEDDING COLLECTION >