Mini loaves make a great wedding favor because they can be baked a day or two in advance, they package well, and best of all, you can make them using a variety of ingredients for a seasonal touch. For instance, you could use a recipe featuring pumpkin and apple for fall weddings, chocolate for winter weddings, or zucchini for weddings that take place in mid to late summer.
Today, our counters are packed with this summer’s last wave of freshly picked zucchini, so we’re sharing one of our favorite recipes to accompany this favor idea. It’s packed with “a whole lot of loafin,” of course. Enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup olive oil (you can substitute ½ cup of the oil for melted butter)
- 1¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, dried dates, chocolate chips or combination (optional)
- Preheat oven to 340F. Grease and flour one mini loaf pan (loaf dimensions used in this post: 5 " x 3" x 2").
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk. Mix in the oil and sugar, then zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until combined. Fold in the optional mix-ins of choice.
- Pour batter evenly into the wells of your mini loaf pan. Place on the center rack in your oven for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. Allow to cool to room temperature before packaging.