- 1 cup of mint leaves
- 1½ cups of vodka
- You will need a pint size canning jar or another glass jar in similar size, that has a tight lid. This recipe makes about 12 ounces of mint extract once complete.
- You'll want to make sure that your mint leaves are clean by rinsing and patting dry.
- Remove the stems from the leaves.
- Using a pestle crush the mint leaves lightly so that when it ferments the oils from the leaves release.
- Place the leaves in the canning jar and pour the vodka on top of the leaves. The leaves should be covered completely.
- Seal the jar tightly and store for 3 to 4 weeks. During that time make sure to keep it stored in a dark cabinet giving it a shake every once in awhile.
- Taste test to see if it's the depth of flavor that you would like. If the flavor is good then strain the leaves from the jar and move the liquid into smaller bottles or jars. Dark bottles as shown or a dark cabinet makes for the best storage once you have completed the extract.
Mint extract makes an adorable and easy wedding favor your guests will love!
Here are just a few ideas of how the extract can be used: